We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blenderized Diet

WHAT is a blenderized diet you say? WELL....if you have to feed your kiddo through a tube in the belly...you're putting in cans of formula. Switching over to a "blenderized diet" means that I will STOP putting formula in that tube---I will, in essence, use food that he would "normally" eat, blend them all together, and feed him through the tube throughout the day. I will STILL feed him by mouth...he will just get MORE food in his tube instead of sloshing milk all day.

Does that make sense?

I have been researching and researching a blenderized diet for Isaac for MONTHS. There is just SO much information out there...and it's all relative to your OWN child...I was afraid that I'd totally screw it up. Using the cans of milk is easy...you're sure they're getting all the right vitamins and nutrients. If I fed him what my other boys eat...I'd be blending up mac n cheese and pizza rolls all day!

BUT...with inspiration from Andrea and THIS blog that I found this week....I took the plunge today and blended away!

I'm still working on all the details and trying to fit in MORE whole milk and water (he just can't have too much in his tummy at one time). BUT...I'll go ahead and schedule an appointment with our nutritionist to let her take a peek. (and...I'm sure that she'll need to tweet a few things)

Does this even make sense?
Measure Ingredient Calories Grams Fat Grams Protein
2 slices White Bread 140 1 4
1/2 cup Orange Juice 55 0 1
1/2 cup Yogurt 115 1.25 3.5
1/2 cup Applesauce 70 0 0
1/3 cup Chicken 110 2.5 20
2/3 cup Cooked Veggies 50 0 1
1/2 cup Milk (whole) 80 4 4
2 Tbsp Olive Oil 240 28 0
1 Tbsp Flax Seed 40 2.5 1.5
3/4 cup Frozen fruit 60 0 1
1ml Multi Vitamin
Totals 960 39.25 36
By mouth 3 3-4 ounce servings 300
3oz Bolus Whole white milk (4 times) 240 12 12
TOTAL 1500 51.25 48
Total makes 5-5oz. Bottles 300 per bolus


Blended Bolus Every 4 hours
8:00am Bolus and Feed by mouth 400
11:00am Bolus before Preschool plus h2o 300
12:30pm Feed my mouth at Preschool 100
2:30pm Snack at Preschool 25
4:00pm Milk Bolus 80
5:30pm Bolus and Feed by mouth 400
7:30pm Milk Bolus 80
9:00pm Bolus before bed 300
Total 1685


I started the day off with breakfast feeding by mouth and 5oz of Nutren Jr. (the canned formula)

By lunch...I had the blender rocking and food stored in bottles.

Tomorrow I will try to follow that schedule...looks like I'll be a feeding FOOL!

It's kind of exciting. I'm excited to see if he poops more regularly, if maybe it will smell LESS funky...but, mostly to see how it affects his energy level and chubLESS thighs!

My little guy is going to be FOUR years old next month...and only weighs 27 pounds. I have some work to do!

I'll take pics tomorrow of my blending....looks gross, but...we did it all day without ONE SINGLE CLOG!!! yeah for me!


Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

7 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

Way to go! Tonight I blended up manicotti, salad and broccoli...dinner. I have no idea the calories anymore..but I'm not scrawny, so I figure it's enough if I just ate it. It's a little stressful in the beginning utyou will see an immediate change inis sac. I use whole milk in all my blends. Eggs, bacon,oatmeal, barley, quinoa, brown rice, fruits, veggies, yogurts, soups, oil, almonds, honey, you name it. Owen does great but I'm trying to get more calories , less volume. It gets easier...like clockwork.

jencooper said...

Sounds cool. Maybe I could try it for Lulu? She is only 24 lbs....

The Portas said...

Oh goodness, you are the best mom on the planet! I love the idea of a blenderized diet for Isaac. I want to see pics of the blends!

Pack some meat on those cute little bones, Isaac! xo

Kerry Tylenda-Emmons said...

I hope it goes well and helps him grow, grow, grow!

Unknown said...

OMG that is a lot of work,Sounds like it might do the trick. But yes yoiu are always feeding him.. Please let me know if he starts to poop regularly. I am having the same problem with Logan he is always constipated.

Terrie said...

It sounds like you have really done your homework. justfoodblends.com has a shelf stable, 100% real food option for tube fed people. Each premade meal is in an easy to use pouch! Check them out.

Terrie said...

Well that link did not work. Let's try this again. justfoodblends.com