We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Tuesday, January 20, 2009


OH MY GOSH....Joe didn't make it home last night until after 1am. We were both up LATE, I fell asleep before he came one (I tried to wait up). BUT...today was a GREAT day!

I met two new heart/digeorge moms today. So Maria (my mom from this weekend) and the two new moms all got together at my house for lunch..and it was SO fun! Watching the little toddlers walk around and play. It's just amazing when you see so many miracle babies in one place....such special spirits. Now...Isaac was the only one just sitting on the floor watching television...but, it was so wonderful to see what little person he will grow into. We're planning on getting together all the time...so, when you're in Vegas...you'll have to come over for a visit (heart baby or NOT!)

Chris didn't do too hot on his algebra mid-term (oh..this class is going to cause me to lose my hair!)

Eli .....ahh...he took a bath tonight, did his homework by himself, and ate a turkey taco for dinner.

Isaac seems SUPER happy today..I don't know what he's been sniffing! He started giggling at American Idol. That's crazy...he doesn't laugh unless you're digging in his ribs...so, this was amazing...he laughed! (I tried to video tape it...but, he stopped).

You know...I was talking with Karen a few days ago and was telling her that I can barely remember Isaac's first year. Seriously. I don't know how we ALL made it through. It was a joke that Joe's was job was to keep us in a house and with food and mine was to keep Isaac alive. Well...we both did our jobs. It's so fun now to just do normal things with Isaac....to watch him experience his toys, us, and himself. Looking back....I don't think I realized how sick this little man really was. When I was watching the other kids today (who were very close to Isaac's age)....I realized how grossly delayed he is. and...I know..it's ok. he'll get there. But...I haven't met too many heart/digeorge babies that were as sick as Isaac. That knowledge just makes every baby step that much more wonderful.

so...today. Isaac laughed.
he rolls around.
he sits up.
he sits up by himself and catches himself when he falls.
he eats stage 2 baby food twice a day.
he can bounce in a bouncy seat like a mad man.
he likes books...only to eat them...not to read them.
he gives us kisses.
he's the apple of our eye.

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got to meet these awesome mommas! I would love to meet other DiGeorge moms. We are seriouslly planning a trip to Vegas next January so hopefully we can all meet up. Now that would be awesome!

my life: said...

A complete miracle! I have thought several times...Grace's first year was so tough, as well. I feel like her development, in so many ways, began after her first birthday. Example: She didn't sit independently until after her first birthday.
He is miraculous...he must be loved well. :0) It's good to stop and reflect....

Sarah said...

Isaac... your amazing and have accomplished amazing things and will continue to do so. PS... your Mommy and Daddy are amazing too!

Rachel Dominguez said...

How neat is that! I'm so glad you got to do that.

sue and shay said...

Hi I am another heart/Digeorge mom I have followed Isaac's blog for a while now but have not written until today. It is so nice to find other kids with the same problems it helps us know what to do when problems arise it also sometimes makes us compair. I am guilty also and I know with two other children that they develope in their own time as long as Isaac continues to do new things he is doing great it is hard not to compair but he is his own person with his own timeline. You are a great mom I wish I lived closer it would be nice to meet your family. My daughter's site if your interested is http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/ shaylaumer

Andrea said...

Very sweet post Kathy. I rejoice in all the baby steps with you.

ks said...

Kevin and I have few memories of that first year... well, other then one trauma after another, being in the hospital, and, well, you know the drill...:) I think part of the reason why we don't recall is because we were so blessed and so protected from the gravity of the situation. What helps to remember sweet moments are the pics, and I know you took a lot of them. We still shed tears over the road she traveled.

One of the hardest things for me about parenting a child with 22q is that Ok, its nice to have a diagnosis and a name for all of this. But it doesn't help me to know what kind of developmental path she will follow, nor does it help to know what we can expect. Each of our kids are so different, its hard not to say- ok, he'll be walking by the time he's 3!! or talking... or eating... or what have you.

You totally hit the nail on the head. What's important is what he's doing now. And I think that one thing that helps me to be ok with all the delays and trials etc. is to not focus on what she is or is not doing, but how happy she is. And Isaac is one happy little man. And super stinkin cute. And look! He's so famous, he's got his own little set of groupies following him!! Go Isaac!

BTW, are you going to the MArch conference in Sacramento? I have fam in Vegas... we should visit... maybe after cold & flu season!!!!

jencooper said...

You are amazing. You give me so much hope. I can only hope that I can have the kind of strength that you have.

Isaac is AMAZING! He will continue to do things on his own pace. Look how far that sweet little boy has come.

I can't wait to come to Vegas so I can smoochy moochy on him.

<3,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Isaac is such a miracle child and is doing everything in his own time. He's come so far already in what seems like such a short amount of time! I swear I could just eat his sweet little face right up!

Sorry about Chris' algebra mid term. I still don't know how things went over here, but I'll find out tomorrow. Not sure the Geometry thing was too great. Maybe we could get them together and they're first date could be math tutoring!

I'm so glad you got to spend time with the other mommies. There's just something about being able to talk to others who are going through the same thing that is so comforting! I don't know anyone here at all that has the same thing Jakey has, but I really wish I did!

Have a great week and hug those kids for me!

Sending lots of love,

Cindy