We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Sunday, August 12, 2007

My shift ending CRAZY yesterday...that's why there was no evening post (sorry). Isaac was still having alot of wretching episodes...but, with the knowledge that meds would be decreased...there was hope that each day would get better. I was holding Isaac about 6:00pm and he started to get fussy (because he knew it was time to eat again)...so, I stood up, and laid him on the bed...then I heard this GOOOSH sound...I looked down...and eveything in his belly was gooshing on the bed...HIS MICKEY BUTTON HAD FALLEN OUT!!! Now, we don't bother our nurses. We're in the IICU (intermediate icu), so, we're in a room with 3 other kiddos. I yelled out, "JO Ann!!! I need your help!"...and she ran over (because, they never have to worry about us...she thought something awful must have happened!). She looked at his belly, and by now I had it covered with blankets to stop the gooshing. She said, no problem, we'll just pop it back in. Then, she brings out a binder. I asked her what in the world was she doing reading right now...and she said that she had never put one in and she was reading how to do it!!! I told her she better call for backup if she didn't know what she was doing! Backup soon arrived...and the button was back in! The entire time, Isaac was just looking around and wondering what all the fuss was about! I paid attention, so I know how to put it back in if this happens again.
After all that.....we hooked Isaac up to the "Ferrell bag" for feeds...it's suppose to help them relieve gas while they are eating...and since we hooked it up last night...there have been no wretching episodes. Now, we also started giving him his meds a little bit at a time and spacing them at least 15 mins apart...whatever makes this baby happy! Joe took some pictures last night, so I'll get those uploaded today. Isaac weighed in at a whopping 13lbs this morning!!! I think it's going to be a GREAT day!

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

6 comments:

Grandma Susie said...

What an ordeal - I can't imagine how scared that would have made me to see his mickey button fall out!!! You did great keeping your head Kat.
So glad to hear about the spacing of his meds too - it seems like a really good idea not to give them to him all at once.
Lets get all that stuff worked out before you take him home on Tues. Just a few more days.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

For months Mike was the only one who could change Matthew's mic key button (I would get woozie)

but Matthew "kicked" his mic key out once while I was feeding him...
DOH...

so I was forced to put it back in myself ... I called Mike in a panic... and I was all woozie and sweatie ...

*NOTE... ALWAYS KEEP A TUBE OF KY AROUND!!! I HAVE TWO.

it all worked out ... I just kept telling myself it was like putting in an earring .... UGH...

last month ... after a feed, I found Matthew's mic key laying on the floor in his bedroom...
his sprung a leak....and fell out...

*NOTE... KEEP AN EXTRA MIC KEY SET!! ALONG W/ THE KY!!

People crack up that I keep a tube of KY in my diaper bag...(w/ syringes of course)

Geez..
what a nightmare that a nurse didn't know how to put in a mic key! You have to be very careful to have it pushed all the way in as to not separate the stomach lining w/ the abdominal wall... (so I've been told...)

We had a nurse at Sunrise (in the cath recovery room) try to put Matthew's meds in the port for the balloon!!!!
GAH!!

Grandma Judy said...

Thirteen pounds.....I guess Little Isaac is growing. It's just taking him awhile to get there.

You're doing a good job Kat. Everyone tells me what a "Special" daughter I have. I actually have alot of special daughters, each one special in their own way.

Keep baby Isaac happy. Keep Joe happy, and do whatever you can to keep yourself happy. You have your laptop...start Christmas shopping!
Love you,
MOM

Mandy said...

To late mom, Kat started Christmas shopping weeks ago. Oh, did she forget to tell you that joe? :) We all know that Kathy is the SPECIAL daughter. It's just something the rest of us has haad to live with!! Glad to see you are finally making the nurses work Kat. They are going to miss you when you leave. Take good care of Isaac and we will bring Katie home soon to play with him.

The Portas said...

So sorry to hear about the wretching AND the nurse who didn't know how to manage it. Yikes! Some nurses can be scary, we know that firsthand.

I pray pray that things start evening out for you guys and that you can get home soon. I want to see more pics!!!!

Terri and I missed you in Vegas! It would have been great to meet you, but we know you have some more important business to tend to. :)

Take care of that sweet little man and of YOURSELVES!

The Portas said...

p.s. I got to meet Terri (and fam) this weekend and she's awesome! You and I are so lucky to have her as support. What an amazing family.....