We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Sunday, August 05, 2007







OK..my day shift is over! Joe is in charge of the night nurse! We had Annie today and she was GREAT! (Terri can vouch for her). We started Isaac on breastmilk today. He gets 15cc's (1/2 oz) every hour through his g-tube. He's a little puffy today (ok...really puffy), so they put him on drip lasix to get the fluid out of him (his little eye lids are even puffy). While they were changing his dressing today, Joe grabbed some pictures. The incision looks so good. It's already healing nicely...there's no drainage...and the line is sooo straight! The tube you see on his right is draining the extra fluid from around his heart. He's still sedated. They are going to possibly try to get him off the vent tomorrow...but, he's still de-sating in the 50-60s every couple of hours...and they don't want to take him off until he maintains his sat level. They're not sure exactly what that's from yet...it could be the vent, it could be the heart still, or it could be his lungs...they are having to suction him pretty often now, he's building up secretions...but, they're on top of it!
Whoo....that's enough for one day... It sounds like a lot,...but, we had a really good day. All of these things are "normal" things this soon after surgery. I'm ready to take my butterball and bust out of that place though!
I wish Joe would post again. But, let me tell you what he has planned for tonight. He bought a small, inexpensive mp3 player and a small pillow speaker. He's going to download classical music onto the player, connect the pillow speaker to the player, and sew them inside the frog that mom sent. This will be Isaac's new music machine...so that he hears music non-stop. Now...Joe also brought in a sodering gun and wires...(yes, he brought this to the hospital)...he wants to take apart Baby Tad (another frog that plays music already) and tap into it's speakers and hardwire the mp3 player to it to see if it will play through it's speakers. (Can you tell that he's bored out of his mind at night!) We also bought a little pokemon stuffed animal and he's going to attach another pacifier to it. I'll take pictures of each project as he finishes it....he's so very creative! All I have to do is issue the challenge....and his brain can't stop thinking about it until he comes up with a solution....I love it!

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm glad I got to talk with you tonight. The story about Joe sounds just like him. Dan was sitting here laughing while I was trying to read the blog to him. I kept laughing also. Only Joe would find audio work that needed to be done in a ICU unit. Just make sure he doesn't borrow any wires from Isaac. Tell him there is a stuff dinosaur on the way he can play with. The build a bears are really easy to take apart. Oh, make sure Joe shares the new batch of cookies with you. Christy and I are going to add a FEW pounds to you :) Take care and we love you.

Unknown said...

That is so funny. Kyle will call Joe tonight to help him pass the time.

The Portas said...

That is so cute!!! Very creative, Joe.

I'll keep praying for a speedy and trouble-free recovery. I'm sure his sats will even out soon here. It takes a while for everything to straighten out.

Grandma Judy said...

All those tubes and gadgets for one little baby. I don't blame him, I'd want to sleep through all of that too!!!

Tell Joe he better not blow up that unit. Remember, there's plenty of oxygen there? !?!

He better go back to the pens and needles. Just my humble opinion!
MOM

James said...

I hope all continues to improve. He is such a sweet little angel; kiss him for me. What will Joe come up with next? Take care and know there are many prayers being sent your way. Love, The McKeel's

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

We had Annie care for Matthew so many times ...(she actually trained Christine, another favorite CVICU nurse) she used stand right up to the docs... she got Matthew's breathing treatments switched from Albuterol to Xopenex.. our pulmonologist said that "Annie was ONE SMART COOKIE" the way she explained how those meds worked".

Anyhoo.. those chest tubes give me the chills everytime I see them.
The scar is cool.. but the chest tubes take my breath away.
I hated those. I still am amazed at all those lines going to his body.....
thank God for sedation and drugs.

Kiss his little puffy face for me...
Matthew looked like a bowling ball, too.

T n T - K n K said...

Good Job Isaac...keep getting all better! So daddy can take you home and take apart some old audio part (or new) and build it back with new & improved everything that goes faster and better!!

Joe...see this is exactly what I was speaking of...do what you have to do to pass the time...miss you guys! Tim completly just shook his head and had written all over his face " I understand completely".

Kathy, how are you? If you take the morning shift can I call you? Just want to hear that southern accent....it's been a awhile.

Love you all...take care
Sams Family