We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Monday, August 13, 2007







Overall, Isaac was a cranky bug all day. We had dumb and dumber for nurses today....they were nice...but. If you can't tell by my opening statement, my stress level with this place is about as high as Joe's is. We're just tired of sharing rooms with all these screaming babies (ours is enough) and nurses that need constant reminding what to do (they do their job good...I think that they are use to us being SO helpful...that they decide they're not going to do anything. I can't remember the last one of them changed a diaper or started his feeding pump).

Ok...I'm finished.

Now...Isaac was cranky today ( for me to mention this twice...that's how bad he was). He had a few wretching episodes, but nothing as bad as yesterday. His meds were decreased somewhat. He's off of oxygen and his sats are doing well...staying in the mid 80s. It took three teams of lab workers to finally draw Isaac's blood today...(I will not go on about them!), but, they were all in line and no problems. Our (dumb) night nurse almost pulled Isaac's IV out tonight (Joe was standing beside her to see it all)...now there's blood all around the site. (She just "accidentally" pulled out the other babies iv). If they try to flush that IV and it doesn't work...I'm going to through one big fit and maybe they'll just go ahead and kick us out. Joe stayed tonight until 1:00am (he's going to work in an office in town tomorrow)...and this baby across from us has cried for 2 hours straight....it looks like a night with no sleep in sight!!! (not to mention the only sink in this room in in our area...) Didn't mean to get off of the subject of Isaac...I just hope my little guy reads these posts when he's older, realizes how much we love him, how much we did for him....and that he WILL push us in our wheelchairs when we are older and take care of us.

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

8 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

OH GOD, this is sooo irritating!!

And guess what...your insurance is paying good money for the nurses to care for your baby!

Our EOB's showed that 2 years ago ... paid was $14,500 to $21,362 a day .. just for the room .. not including doctors etc....

It's a bunch of crap that our insurance pays so much for care.. and we end up doing all the work... and babysitting these healthcare providers.

I can only say I had problems at a "certain" hospital..

but not on 3 West ???


You can go complain to the patient right advocate ..... talk to your social worker, she'll set you up.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Squeaky wheel gets the oil...

there is no doubt that I'd be documenting what is going on...
and letting them know.

It's not right.

The Portas said...

Well first of all, Isaac looks soooo good! I think his color looks wonderful and what a sweet little munchkin he is.

I'm so sorry to hear about the nurses. It is VERY frustrating knowing that you are paying crazy money for them when some of them can be so bad. It's amazing the difference in nurses, isn't it? I remember just wincing as each new nurse came on their shift, as I was trying to get a read on how good they'd be.

It would really be worth mentioning to someone there at the hospital, like Terri said.

Hang in there. Only a little bit longer and you'll be home!

James said...

Hey Kathy,
Isaac is looking like a chunky monkey! Glad he is doing well. Is a discharge still in order for tomorrow? Sure hope so. If the nurses don't like their job, they need to find something they enjoy doing. And just not doing it for the money! They make it miserable for everyone. Take care and keep it together (when necessary) :) Abby

Grandma Judy said...

Okay, Grandma here playing devil's advocate. Kat, you were the one blessed with this very special child. You are also the one blessed with his care and well being. You are his mother, his caregiver...and his acvocate. If there are things going on that you don't think is right...speak up! Not only may you help your child, but also other little ones there!

Just think, how did mothers 150 years age survive? They had no nurses, and often no doctors.

Be tough, you can do it when you need to!!! Quit whining. Walk out of the area, they will have to look after him then! Also talk to someone and see if you can get in a private room. The man coughing in there yesterday would have prompted me to complain then!!!

Speak up!!!!
Love you,
MOM

Grandma Judy said...

Okay...spellling error again..
advocate. My finger just slipped.
MOM

Mandy said...

Will someone please sign our mother up for spelling lessons. Kat, I'm sure you will express your opinions to the nurses when they really screw up. You aren't one to hold it in for to long. Just make sure you don't take it out on Joe or one of us if/when we call. (not like you would ever do that either!! ;) ) I love being out of your reach!! ha ha ha

Glad to see Isaac is looking better. Things are only going to get better from here. Just think, you have two other boys that start school soon so you will have a whole differnet set of people to worry about. I'm sure you will try to go off with Eli when he starts school. Someone should go ahead and prepare Eli's teachers now that what ever Eli wants Eli gets. And Chirs, well that's a whole different story. You think you are sad now just wait!!

Love ya
Mandy

T n T - K n K said...

Hello All,
I love reading all the commentary...I'm sure Kathy, when Isaac is older he too will find an interest in all this good reading. Grandma Judy.. I just love her...she's so much like my mom...my mom would say the same thing...
I'm sure you guys are growing tired of your surrounding and just want to be home. Being that I have always worked in the Health care environment, I can understand your frustration! You guys are tough cookies! Isaac is blessed to have you both as parents. As I can not say I have been where you are but I empathize with you and you are more than welcome to vent to me and come back refreshed and ready to tackle it all. My first year with the twins was Hard "for me" and seemed no one understood but the good lord. So my luvs....you have a wonderful strong surrounding of friends & family....just know we love you to bits.
You'll be home soon!
Have a blessed day today.
Sams Family