We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Thursday, February 21, 2008


I can give myself breathing treatments...
ok...so maybe I'm not suppose to let it blow 

in my ear!
I think that someone's behind me!
I think there's something on this spoon!
Uhhh...if you're going to make me eat...I need
to watch the tv at the same time!

Gosh....we had a BUSY day!  My sister watched Isaac for me this morning so that I could volunteer at Eli's school.  I LOVED IT!  I feel SO BAD because I haven't been able to give Eli the attention that he deserves.  I haven't been so happy before...just making copies...helping kids count by 10...and watching my little man interact with his classmates!  I was IN HEAVEN!  Thanks Mandy!

Then...we went to the GI doctor.  Isaac GAINED weight!  He weighs..ahh....I forget exactly...but, almost 17 pounds!  He's still not on the growth charts for weight...but, he's 27 1/2 inches tall...that's about 25th percentile.  (My man will be on the charts one day!!!)  Dr. Baron was so happy with Isaac's progress this month.  We're currently feeding Isaac 6ozs. every 4 hours.  We're working on a new goal....maybe 6 1/2 ozs every 4 hours.  (we'll slowly work on getting there!)

After that....Mark (speech) came over.  Isaac ate a little (like 4 baby spoons) of mac n cheese.  He showed me a lot of new techniques to try and gave me a ton of new foods to try with him.  AND he told me I need to try to feed him by mouth at least THREE times a day.  (So...we're going to tube feed him 5 times a day and try mouth feeding 3 times a day)....I can see how my days are going now.  (why can't I just give him a french fry and let me feed himself...WHY!?!?)
I LOVE Mark...he's our friend...and he's helping so much with Isaac.  When I start thinking about how long we could have this feeding tube....he helps me see all the positive things that Isaac IS doing...and reassures me that HE WILL EAT ONE DAY!  

FINALLY...no more appoiontments!!!  Ok...here's the thing.  Our life is CRAZY BUSY!  I try to be as happy and positive about it all...but, it just stinks.  There's a lot that goes into taking care of this little man.  It's giving him breathing treatments 4 times a day, meds in his g-tube 12 times a day, changing his g-tube dressing 3 times a day, filling the feeding pump 6 times a day, flushing the feeding pump 6 times a day, flushing his g-tube 18 times a day (meds plus the feeds), checking his O2 levels at least once a day, checking his blood sugar levels at least once a day, re-taping his oxygen canula every other day....oh...and that doesn't include all the normal "baby"things like diapers, talking to them, playing with them.....I wish that I got paid by the hour!  Then...Joe could stay home with us!  Not trying to be pessimistic....just realistic.  I (we) have learned to not complain about silly, little things that the kids do now.  (or anything for that matter).  We've learned so much more about being patient and understanding...about when to ask each other for help....and about not taking one single day for granted.  So....this paragraph was so that everyone will 1.  know that I haven't lost my baby weight because I'm too busy to exercise, 2.  know that I'm not always Miss Sunshine, 3.  That my house is CRAZY....that's why you're never invited over, 4.  I am one busy mama....but, there's no where else that I'd rather be.  

I'm a hormonal wreck!  Poor Joe!  Poor kids!  I hope that I don't forget anything important with them this weekend!

OK...for your funny story.  Chris (our 13 year old) has gym this semester (he had health last semester).  So...he has gym uniforms that he keeps at school.  Well, my mom told me today, "remind Chris to bring home his gym clothes tomorrow so that you can wash them."  I said, "Oh my gosh!  I HAVE NEVER WASHED THEM!"  "CHRIS...WHERE ARE YOUR GYM CLOTHES!!!"  I'm yelling.  "At school"...he says.  "Chris...you've been in gym class for 2 months now...and haven't brought home your clothes for me to wash??", I ask.  "No"....he says.
WELL....what kind of mom am I if I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT to remind my absent minded teenager to bring home his stinky gym clothes every week for me to wash???  (Now you know where he gets it from!)  The kids at school are going to call him STINKY!  Oh....my nerves are shot!  

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

9 comments:

Krista said...

Oh friend....what to say! You are a busy momma...I only had Kate home for 6 nights with her feeding tube and oxygen before she went into the hospital...those 6 days wore me out...and you're doing it for weeks/months! I just so wish I could help you. Isaac is surely one lucky guy!

But...see all your hard work is paying off..the little guy is growing...slowly, but hey, it's not losing! He looks great and all that is due to YOU!!!! I'm so glad you got some time in Eli's class today! Awesome!

And as far as Chris and his stinky clothes...guess that's just a sign he isn't too into the girls yet...or at least the ones in his gym class!

Hope you have a great Friday! What did Isaac think of the American Idol results---we have 3 from Indiana...one down 2 to go!

Sending lots of love...and encouragement you're way!

ks said...

oh, Kathy. Have heart about his g-tube. Honestly, it was my best friend for six years... My daughter started eating 100% of her caloric intake about 18 months ago... all on her own, even after years of intense feeding therapy. She just decided she was ready. Now, I worry about whether or not she is getting all of her nutrients and vitamins, too much junk food, choking, etc. And, I will also add that even after not-even-two-years of oral feeding, she had to have six teeth capped last month. SIX.

So. What I'm trying to say (but hopefully I'm not making you feel worse about things...) is that for now, you know he is getting all the fluids he needs and the nutrients etc. sufficient for proper growth and brain development. Plus, you're prolonging his dental health, right? Its a silver lining! If you squint and concentrate hard, you can see it... its just... sorta... little...

Glad to see that you're normal. I was kinda worried about your constant cheeriness... (jk) but the truth is out now! You're really real! & You're awesome...

Grandma Judy said...

IF Chris remembers to bring his gym clothes home, you need to remember to get them out of that gym bag ASAP. I can imagine what the house will smell like after a couple of days!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE! I mailed you a card, and it came back yesterday.
It was stamped in red RETURNED FOR POSTAGE. Oh well, I'll just save if for next year. I do hope you have a great day.

Go Isaac go. I knew the family genes would kick in soon and you would start that eating. Eat and sleep, that's what we do best. I think we inherited it from Grandma Kitty Cat.

Have a good day everyone.

The Portas said...

It's Joe's birthday? Happy birthday, awesome daddy and hubby!

I was actually very relieved to read your "realistic" paragraph. You are human, too! You absolutely have the right to feel beat down and tired because you do SO MUCH! You are an amazing woman and Isaac is the luckiest boy in the world to have you as his mama (as are Eli and Chris).

The weight gain is GREAT news! That is a very good sign that his body is starting to do what it's supposed to. And about the g-tube, I cannot imagine the hassle that must be and the stress it must cause you every single day. But it is what it is for now. Right now, he needs it. When he's done with it, he'll let you know. In the meantime, you are AWESOME for managing everything that goes along with it. Remember that he is making progress in the eating (even tho small steps), and that is what is important right now.

Hey Stinky! That's actually a really funny story. With all that you've got on your plate, Kathy, I would never in a million years expect that you would think of washing Chris' gym clothes.

Take care, Supermom of the universe! Always thinking of you guys.

xoxoxo

Mandy said...

Happy Birthday Joe.

I have to say, watching Kathy yesterday made me tired. She was running all around. There is NO WAY i could ever do what she does. It's great though when my kids can put a smile on her face or when she sees my 15 month old red head run across the room because then Kathy can't wait until Isaac can do the same.

Everyone, tell Kathy that her and Joe can go out tonight and all the kids can stay home. I think I can talk her into it but I need to work on Joe. They both need some special time out with no kids.

Samantha said...

You are an AMAZING mother! Just because you did not think about the gym clothes...my goodness...I am exhausted just reading about all you do everyday. You are an incredible woman who I respect and admire tremendously.

I think that maybe with this whole lunar eclipse thing we have all gone a little looney! I know that I have. I wish that I lived closer, so I could help you out. I cannot even imagine giving Micah so many medicines each day...I thought we were bad at his 8 or 9 that he takes (by the way, I forgot to give him one yesterday, so I am part of the biggest loser mommy club).

Please do not worry about your weight--of all things! In every picture I have seen of you, you look great...of all things to worry about, that is certainly not one of them. I wish that you were able to find some more time for just you (I am sure that Megan already wrote that, but I have not read the comments yet).

Hang in there. You really are amazing and you do so much already. This life is a bit overwhelming, but it will settle down one day...when that adorable little boy decides to give you a break.

I am glad that all your appts went well yesterday...

Love,
Samantha

Samantha said...

Wanted to add (now that I have read the comments)...you better take Mandy up on her offer...you and Joe go out for a nice birthday dinner. I am sure that there is some place there in Vegas that you can go out to!

Lots of love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

I think if you were upbeat and smiley all the time with everything you deal with you would be abnormal!!! And you can tell Chris that if HE doesn't remember to bring his own stinky clothes home the girls will make fun of him! I'm sure he wouldn't want that!!! :;

I'm so glad you got to spend time in Eli's class...I know it means so much to Steph when I do things with only her, so I know he really appreciated it!!

Great news on the weight gain for the little man! Someday he'll start gobbling up 3 meals a day and you'll laugh when you hear yourself saying "Isaac, you're eating us out of house and home!!" Just wait!!

Hope the "big boys" are feeling better and that you & Joe continue to stay healthy!

Hve a great weekend!!

~Cindy

crabby old man said...

I DO NOT KNOW HOW U GET DONE WHAT U
DO. I GET TIRED JUST HEARING ALL U DO. IT MUST BE WORKING FOR ISAAC ,ELI,& CHRIS SEEM TO BE DOING FINE AT THE MOMENT.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE GYM CLOTHES ,STINKY IS A MAN THING.
MAY GOD BLESS YOU & YOURS