We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Monday, July 30, 2007


Christmas for Isaac!

and his new frog!

As much as my sweet husband gets on my last nerves....I sure do miss him!! Joe flies back here tomorrow (Tuesday) and we can't wait!! Isaac was a bit of a crab muffin today. He has an internal clock that goes off at exactly every 2 hours. At that point...he expects his milk to be warm...and now starts to look at his g-tube bolus waiting to hear it start to drip in. (this boy is not delayed one bit...I can't even believe that he can see that tube..yet, already know that's where I"m putting the milk each time!). I tricked him last night...and got 4 hours straight sleep! I set the pump to feed him 1.5ozs per hour for 3 hours....so, he's use to feeling full, then hungry. So, for 3 hours, he felt full...and the fourth hour he would wake up, give me a little whimper...and I'd change him and set the pump again! (I marvel at my genius mind sometimes!). We'll see if my plan works again tonight! Mom sent a box of goodies for Isaac. I'll ask Joe to attach another pacifier to this new frog and we have a snazzy new outfit to take him out in, a tag blankee, and a backpack to put all the goodies in!!! (It's like Christmas around here!). The boys are having fun in TN. Eli is train happy playing with Caleb and Christopher is glad that he can use the phone all day and play his video games (what a charmed life they lead...they have no idea!). We have our pre-op appt tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at 8:30am...I hope I don't oversleep (yeah right.....if I could get that much sleep, I'd gladly miss the appt for more sleep!). I'll post later tomorrow when we get back to give you the news...but, everything should go smoothly. The nurses gave me some of the numbing cream to put on Isaac's arm before they draw blood (he's so hard to stick...and they just keep trying and trying...like his blood runs free is some spots and is barren in others?!?) My little guy is sleeping in his special place...you know by now...the swing. That was the best $150 I have ever spent...if only we could make time to buy rechargeable batteries for it! (We go through them about every 3 weeks!) I don't think he knows what it's like to actually sit still! ( I know..the hearts on his cheeks are TOO big...but, I didn't have Joe here to make them...and once I put them on...I didn't want to pull his face off!)
The Ronald McDonald House address is:
520 Sand Hill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
But, really...we're hoping to be out of here early next week!
**On a side note: I've met a lot of people on the internet and here at Stanford who have children with the same heart defect and other problems...and I am so thankful that Isaac chose us to be his parents. That he waited for this time to come to earth. That he knew our lives would be in order in such a way to give him the love and care that he deserves. I am so thankful for Joe's job and the support that he receives daily. I am thankful for such loving friends and family that give generously to help us and support us. I have seen so many famlies here this week that don't appear to have the love of a spouse that rivals mine...that support you need at such a stressful time. It breaks my heart to see families here that can't afford to fly home to visit their other children(I want to pull out my credit card and give them all a ticket!). I have truly been humbled these last few weeks and will never take another moment with my husband and children for granted again. I will listen to Christopher's ramblings about the latest video game and talk all night with Eli about the newest Thomas the tank engine...and I will not forget to kiss all my guys each night and let them know how thankful I am to have them in my life. (Now that I've made you cry...I'll still yell at the boys for not cleaning their room, for missing the toilet, for leaving their wet pool towels on the floor, and I'm sure that I'll kiss Joe goodnight..but, still be mad at something he did that day....but....I'm still thankful to have them!)

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

10 comments:

Grandma Judy said...

Oh Kathy,
You are such a sweet daughter and wonderful MOM. We are so proud of you. I wouldn't trade you for anything!

I'm glad Isaac got his package. I got the backpack for Eli to help baby Isaac carry his toys. When you are able to go to church and out and about, I wanted to make sure Isaac had his own backpack.

We are doing our fasting and prayers today keeping Isaac and all the family in mind.

Hope you have a brief stay at the hospital today. I can't believe they are NOT keeping him overnight for preop. Only in CA.

I love you all so much. If you need me, just call. I'll be on the next flight out.
MOM

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

This experience sure gives us a different perspective... doesn't it.

Even as bad as we think we have it... (trust me, I've had my cry baby feel sorry for myself moments more than a handful of times)
I do see that others have it far worse than me.

I too am blessed w/ a wonderful husband... who had a wonderful employer....

Thinking of you this minute...

Good luck today...
Hugs

The Portas said...

I hope everything went well today with pre-op. I know that can be a bit draining, with all the poking and prodding, etc...

You are so cute! It's so wonderful that you have such a good hubby and a good supportive family. That makes all the difference! It's weird, but I almost feel honored sometimes to have been given Elijah and all the "issues" that come with him because it means that God felt Dan and I were up for the challenge and could handle it.

I'm thinking of you guys constantly today...

Kathy said...

That's exactly the way Joe and I feel Megan....like we were the lucky ones!
kathy

Mandy said...

Oh, you are being just so sweet today. You always get soft when Joe leaves. I'm sure you text him every 5 minutes and tell him how much you love him. You are a great mom. Thats why Seth tells everyone one that you are his mom. Make sure you give mom a couple of days notice before you leave. I'm sure she will be sending out things daily. She really wishes that she could be there. I'm glad you got a nap today with Isaac. I promise to only text you once tomorrow to see how things are going.

Love ya
Mando

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Just came back to see how today went.

Hugs

brookebunker said...

He looks so cute and happy in all his pictures. Good luck with the surgery and everything this week. You are all in our prayers. You are doing such a great job. love, Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! I'm a friend of Terri's and I live in Vegas as well. Dr. Hanley did our son's surgery and we were so happy with the outcome! Isn't comforting to know you are in the best place!? And what great parents you are to have done everything you can to get your little guy the best care!

If you go back to the NICU, say hi to Mercedes and Erica for us! We looove them! And we even loved the CVICU even more!

You and your family are in our prayers!

with love - the Mannings
(Lisa, Justin, Cole and Mason)

David said...

Hi Kathy, I am a blog friend of Terri's. You and your family are in my family's prayers. We are praying for little Isaac and Dr. Hanley. May God bless you.

David said...

Oh, and Hi from a fellow Mormon!