We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Friday, July 27, 2007


Issac in his bouncy seat at the hospital.

Joe made the heart sticker on his face.

and notice the arrow sticker that points to the heart....

It was a WONDERFUL Friday!!! Last night was HEAVENLY being out of the hospital!! Even though Isaac still woke up every 2 hours...it was nice that THAT was the only thing waking us up! Yes...you heard right...my little guy is still eating every 2 hours. They told us not to work with bottle feedings until after surgery so that he doesn't aspirate into his lungs...so, we are feeding him solely through the g-tube. But, I do feed him (the pump feeds him 3oz over 30 mintues) and I wait for him to get hungry and fussy...which is usually every 2-3 hours...and then I plug him back up! I don't want him to forget what feeling hungry feels like...so, that in a few weeks we can work on solid foods and try the bottle again. I did give him a taste of my chocolate milk shake today...I think he liked it!!! We spent the day outside today. We loaded the stroller up with: his oxygen tank, feeding pump, cooler of bottles, baby bag, and toys....and walked outside all afternoon. (There's a mall across the street....I wish I wasn't saving to pay for hospital bills...because...the stores were calling my name!!!) Isaac is now snoozing in his favorite swing...which his legs are starting to hang over...so, I hope he'll sleep in the crib soon! We got a call from Dr. Hanley's office and they said for us to be at the hospital Tuesday morning at 8:30am for his pre-op physical. I'm sooo glad that they are doing the surgery...but, really...I'll be a basket case next week! This surgery is going to be a shorter sugery than we expected. They are going to go in and attach the pulmonary artery to the aorta (pa window)...this will allow the pulmonary artery to grow--we're hoping. They said that this surgery should take 3-4 hours and the recovery should be only about a week! But, he will have to come back in 3-6 months to have a conduit graph put in place of the pulmonary artery and valve. (I think that's what it's replacing)....this graph is what will have to always be replaced...they said the average is every 3 years...but, it could be in 4 months....he could go 10 years...each case is diffferent! We're praying that they can fix his little heart in as few surgeries as possible so that he can enjoy being our little butterball!!! Joe brought the bumbo chair...and he is SO cute trying to sit up in it...I'll snap a picture tomorrow. He still can't hold his head up...and tomorrow he'll be 4 months old!!! His little belly is finally healed from the g-tube surgery...and now we'll have the heart surgery....I don't know if we'll ever be able to get him to lay on his tummy! He'll be one of those kiddos that goes from sitting up to running around!!! (and I'll take that!!) I miss Chris and Eli SO much!!! They would LOVE this children's hospital and the Ronald McDonald House...I'm still hoping that this time next year...all the boys will be well and we can take one GIANT vacation!!!! Thanks for all the comments...I read them everyday! We can't wait to show off our little guy when we get home!!! It's absolutely amazing how fast you can fall in love with such a little person...but, he wraps me around that little finger a little tighter each and everyday!

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The tape is so cute. You Know he is your boy when he can even make fashion statements with tape!!
I'm glad all is well and you got to go shopping.
We love you

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I was laughing... Matthew's left cheek always had a heart.. and the right had to be rectangle, he kept messing w/ it.
He's so precious. I'm so happy you got to go to the mall...
See's and Starbucks were our favorite hang out... oh..
and Banana Republic! Hee hee!!

Ah yes, I've heard the same old song and dance too ... about the valve needed to be replaced... and not knowing how long it will last... could be every year or every two years or five... depends on kiddo....

I think that's the hardest part... not knowing.

Just think, technology is on our side ...and who knows what they'll come up w/ in the next 10 years.... huh!!

They using cadaver tissue or bovine? We wanted bovine.. but ended up w/ cadaver...
We'll go for bovine next time.

Girl... you'll be just fine next week.. I promise. I though I was going to be a mess... but really..
trust me...
ONCE YOU MEET THAT MIRACLE MAN... DR. HANLEY.... you will feel so calm and you won't worry...

This man is an angel... a true hero in our eyes.

You'll be fine... but it's best to have a box of See's handy!!!

Grandma Judy said...

Kat,
You better not have carried MY baby to the mall. I hope you just looked at it from the distance. Now, at naptime if Joe and Isaac want to sleep, then you can go to the mall. I hope you spent your time in the fresh air and sunshine.
I don't want Isaac getting sick before surgery.

I'm glad to know Joe has spare time on his hand to fix the tape.
Tell him to do one like his Cadillac, or even the mini van.

Hope you have a great weekend. Make the best of it!!
MOM

The Portas said...

Oh I am so happy that you guys have Isaac's surgery scheduled so soon. That is wonderful news! I promise that everything will be ok. I thought I'd be a bundle of mush the week/day of Elijah's surgery, but honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It was a very tiring day indeed, but I wasn't a mess. You will be just fine! Trust that God has this in His hands. He'll take care of all of you!

No worries on the tummy time stuff. Elijah is 5+ months old and still can't lift his head off the ground either. I was pretty concerned about it, but just recently realized that there is much more important stuff to be thinking about. These kids are a bit behind in the gross motor, but they'll come around with a little time and patience. We just got the bumbo chair, too, and it's already done wonders. Isn't it so funny watching their little heads bobble around? Hee heee...

Have a good weekend and hang in there. The end of this first "fix" is in sight! I hope you're able to see your other boys soon. Will you have to wait till after you get home from Stanford? I can't imagine having other kiddies while going through what a big hospital stay and surgery like this. I bet they miss you very much!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh, today is Matthew's Heart Anniversary ...

it was 2 years ago today that Matthew received his second chance at life by having that Unifocalization.

We are celebrating!

I meant to say..

Matthew didn't even get put on the floor until he was a year old...
he could NOT hold up his head...
but now look at him!!

It will all be fine.

T n T - K n K said...

This Blog is my morning cup of coffee..I get my kids up, give them there cups of milk and I sit down to read how your day or night was. Thanks Again guys for sharing all of your little Isaac with us.
So happy you are in a place "RMDH" that is to your liking and even nicer you are near most of all your loves..Joe..Isaac..the Mall (only missing Eli & Chris) and I'm sure they miss you guys like crazy too!!

Our Prayers will be with you ALL week as they always are. And I too believe you will just fine..you are one of the toughest little cookies I know. Joe you too..can you guys bottle that strength & courage and ship me a little :-)

Have a wonderful weekend together, the weather should be lovely...perfect for Isaac to enjoy!

xxoo
Sams Family

James said...

Hey,
That is GREAT news! We will be thinking and praying real hard for Isaac. Just remember Kathy, that little guy will be able to sense and know exactly what you are feeling. So keep it together for him, if not for anyone else. We love you guys and please take care of each other.
The McKeel's

Mandy said...

Okay, if I sell the big bike this week then you get 30 mins at the mall. Tell Joe. I hope you don't get to bored by yourself without Jo Jo there Monday and Tuesday. He's just going back home to make sure he can make you more money since he knows how much you are missing your shopping malls and interent sites. (HA HA) Take care and I'm glad we got the toys to Vegas just in time for Isaac to play with them.

Love ya
Mando