We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Sunday, November 18, 2007





Ahhh....Sunday...and it was a day of rest. I was a bit surprised when I came in this morning and they were still feeding Isaac. When they plan to extabate him...they hold his feeds. But, they decided to give him one more day to rest and get his lungs as strong as possible so that we can have success tomorrow!!! (fingers crossed, prayers said). He still looks sad and groggy. But, he didn't cry as much today...he actually slept most of the day. He gets mad when we move him...but, other than that, he's such a trooper. They increased his feeds to 24 cal (he's still getting 20 oz an hour continuously). His cultures they took a few days ago from his gunky lungs came back showing positive bacterial growth...hence the fever that comes and goes. He is on a 10-day antibiotic regimen...with 6 more days to go (I hope that doesn't mean that we have to stay 6 more days??). He had a fever when I came in this morning...but. wasn't warm to the touch. She took a "bum" temperature reading...and thank goodness! He could have had the fever yesterday and the armpit temp readings didn't pick it up. Sorry Isaac...but, I'm going to keep requesting "bum" temp readings for you!
He pooped again today! YEAH!!! I'm having a blast changing his diapers. I still can't hold him. And I'm SO short...that I can barely reach his melon to kiss him (i need a step ladder). I do put lavender lotion on his arms and legs everyday...and take a little and put in his hair to make the "do" that sticks up. (it's how I pass my time). You're lucky you haven't seen tiny braids in it yet...it's almost long enough again to corn row!!
I made a discovery a few days ago that's pretty gross. Isaac has been wearing socks on his hands so that he doesn't pull the vent out of his mouth. Well, I took the socks off one day...and OH MY GOODNESS...that stink that came from them! They smelled worse than his diaper. So, I washed them and let them air dry that day. Well, I let him hold my fingers...and his stink was then all over my hands! (totally gross). Well....his stinky smell came off of my hands...but, his still stink. So, today I took the socks off to let them air out...and they looked like raisins. He must be sweating alot. I kept them off all day and put them back on before I left. (In case he tried to hurry the process and pull the vent out himself). Any ideas about getting the stink out?? If the vent gets pulled tomorrow...the socks can stay off of his hands...but, I'm not sure how long the stink will stay in his hands?? (Oh...the things I worry about).
You should know that Joe bought me a big TUB of Butt Paste this trip. And I'm applying it generously...so, far...no bum rashes!!!
I think that's all that happened today. Pretty uneventful. Oh...I did buy a newspaper so that I could see all the holiday sales papers (just to look JOE)...and there weren't very many in today's paper. Do they all come out on Wednesday?? I mean...I will have Joe here on Friday to watch Icky...I could totally buy a new suitcase to carry back xmas presents that I shouldn't be buying...but, they'd be on sale!!!
Off to bed I go...One more call to check on Isaac before I dose off!

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

6 comments:

Samantha said...

So funny about the stink! OMG, I have no idea how to get that off him...except once you get to give him a real bath...you said the lotion will not cover the smell? Poor thing! What about some baby powder? Also, something people use to get garlic and onion smell off is lemon juice...so if you are daring, you could try some of that.

I am praying for a successful extubation today...mostly so that his mommy can hold him, but also to get him home soon! I do LOVE the hair...so cute...he is looking better and better. You are all in my prayers to get that adorable baby boy back home where you can spoil him even more!

Take care of yourself...oh, about the ads...I don't think the GOOD ones come out until the Friday paper...but I am probably wrong...I never go on Black Friday because I HATE huge crowds...I get a little coo-coo.

Lots of love,
Samantha

The Portas said...

How funny that he has stinky hands. :) And I'm so glad he pooped again...that's great news! We are huge fans of Butt Paste, too. It does the trick!

I am praying hard for a successful extubation today. I want you to be able to hold your sweet baby boy. I know how hard it is not to be able to.

You are such a good mommy. Isaac is a lucky little boy to have you. I love the hair-do and he looks so cute in these pics, hugging on his little puppy. :)

Grandma Judy said...

These pictures do look a little better than the last ones! I am still waiting for him to be up and moving around.

You might want to change that 20 ounces an hour. I don't think he can do that!

The boys are missing you a little more. Chris is doing an excellent job with his homework. You would be proud. Eli is being a good helper.

We love you, and MISS YOU!

Christy said...

Hey Kat- try the antibacterial hand sanatizer, that should help

christy

Anonymous said...

The sales paper should come out on Wednesday. Go Girl Go!

James said...

Hey Kathy,
Isaac looks better sleeping; and looks very peaceful. I hope that he feels better real soon. I thought that on babies hospitals/doctors etc always used a rectal temperature reading because that is more accurate? That's weird that they haven't. I checked sales papers here yesterday, no good sales! Take care, Love Abby