We are just a family of five...three boys, a mom, a dad, a hamster, and dog. Welcome to our crazy world. Our adventures will make you laugh, cry, and pee in your pants...
RSS

Saturday, November 17, 2007






Well...I don't know why Isaac was such a cranky bug today...but, he started up again crying...we did a quick suction...and like magic...he fell asleep. The respiratory therapist came by also and said that his vent settings looked good enough to maybe try and extabate tomorrow. Isaac is still getting breathing treatments every four hours, and with the constant suctioning...maybe our little man will be ready to breathe on his own tomorrow!
Guess what...he also just pooped again! (It was rather gross...but, 2 poops down)!
What I thought was going to end just yucky...is turning out better than I could have imagined.
Can you tell in the pictures how horrible he looks today. I'm not sure if it's because he's been crying or because he doesn't like the vent or if it's the drug withdrawal. Either way...he looks quite pitiful.
I was planning on pulling an all-nighter...but, he's finally settling down, so I might start heading back to RMH about 10pm. I love it when I can leave without feeling like he's going to cry because I'm not there. (you know...it's just not a normal feeling to leave your baby somewhere else...)
**I almost forgot to tell you (or did I??) He's sucking on his pacifier that's attached to the frog (while the breathing tube is in his mouth....does he have us wrapped around his fingers or WHAT!

Read Comments
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He does look like a sad little puppy dog. On the other hand he looks very loved and pampered. I love him hugging the frog. You are doing such a good job taking care of him!
Brittany

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

He does look very sad.

Hoping for extubation today!

You'll have to call me or text me.. not sure if I can get on the computer for the next 10 days.....



We're leaving for Beaver...
(but..humm.... Matthew is having steroid withdrawals and he's been the most awful he's ever been...
like roid rage or somethign... so
I'll talk to Mitch b/f I go...? I am frazzled to say the least. I have a love/hate steroids relationship.

I'm sure we'll be in touch on the phone.. I'll want to know if you're home by Thanksgiving or not...

please know that I'm thinking of you...

The Portas said...

That poor little man. He just wants to be in his mamas arms! Hopefully they can extubate today, that would be wonderful. It's good news that they're able to remove a few things from him, little by little.

I remember what it was like to see Elijah crying with the vent in and it was heart-wrenching! We couldn't hear a thing but we'd see little tears run down his face. :(

I'm praying for a great day for Isaac! I hope you got some sleep last night, Kathy.

Samantha said...

Hi Kathy...

He does look so sad...but adorable as ever! I know this is hard, but you are doing terrific...he will come off that vent soon so that you can love on him even more. I am glad he is able to get that pacifer in his mouth with the vent...at least he can get some soothing until his mommy can get a hold of him. The way he is hugging his little stuffed animal is soooooo cute. I am glad that he is making progress...he is doing great!

BIG HUGS!!!

Love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

He definitely looks ready for extubation and the pooping is a great sign.
Are they tapering his narcotics?
Sophia had horrible narcotics withdrawl with a couple of her surgeries. It looked and sounded just like you have described. If they are not planning a taper of some kind (i.e. methadone/ativan), I would inquire about it.
Best wishes for a succcessful extubation.

ks said...

Kathy,

He looks beautiful. And a little pitiful, which adds to his appeal, I think. But don't worry, its just a natural process for him to be fussy... when we were there, I felt like it was our daughter's way of telling us that she was getting stronger and closer to being through on the vent. So maybe its a signal that he's getting ready to come off! (fingers crossed). Hang in there! You can do it. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Kamaile Hiatt and Fam in Boise, ID

Grandma Judy said...

Oh, I don't like those pictures at ALL. It looks like he is thinking,
"What have you done to me?". You need to find out what is going on with my baby.

All is well here. The boys are doing great! They are all off to church now.

You have a good day.

Anonymous said...

okay so i had to catch up b/c i wasn't near a computer for awhile - wow! you have had quite a ride for the past few days! i am sooooo happy he's pooping and alert - that's definitly enough to be happy about :) i hope so much that you are able to get out of there soon - and that you can fatten little Isaac right back up! it ends up will be right behind you - we're scheduled for the 5th so reading your blog makes me anxious but i'm starting to feel as prepared as possible - IS that even possible!? and i have to say, way to hang in there! i'm sure it gets so tough having to come back to the RMH alone and leave little Isaac but i'm so glad you're trying to get sleep so you can make sure YOU are healthy!!!! i worry about you too. i'm sure your positive spirit can be felt by Isaac and that is surely helping him through all this! what a lucky little kid to have such an awesome family!!!! you can tell how loved he is! thanks for all the updates ...

still more prayers and love comin your way :)

lisa manning

Mandy said...

Come on Kat, you know mom probley cried when she saw these pics! You are only suppose to put happy pics on the blog. Have someone take a pic of you so we can see how you look now.

Take care and make sure you are sleeping.

The Portas said...

As a parent who has been through this, I know the importance of having people know what's going on through these blogs. Sometimes the pictures and updates aren't the happiest in the world but that's life, we want and need to know what's happening with you and Isaac so we can pray accordingly.

Kathy, you are doing an amazing job and we appreciate all your updates and pictures. You're a wonderful mother and we will continue to pray for you and Isaac.

Dan Porta

The Portas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.